Friday, March 23, 2012

Spring Break in Breckenridge, Colorado!

We had the best time in Breckenridge over Spring Break. Oh, how I wish we were still there! We left on Saturday and drove all the way to Denver. The kids did amazing. I really couldn't believe how well they did traveling for that long in a car. We tried to make it fun and played lots of "I spy" and "I'm thinking of...". Needless to say, Richard and I were tired when we made it to the hotel!

The drive to Breckenridge the next day was beautiful. It was sunny and warm...so different than when we have gone earlier in the winter. It was strange not seeing snow on the roads or having snow flurries along the way. I must say, that was a bonus because I wouldn't have wanted the drive to be any longer! We had beautiful weather all week while skiing...sunny and close to 50! This was the kids first time to ever see the mountains and ski. It was fun just watching their reaction as they saw and experienced everything for the first time.

When we arrived in Breckenridge, we got all of our ski rentals and checked in to the hotel. We stayed at the Marriott Mountain Valley Lodge. It was perfect. We just had to walk out of the hotel and over a small bridge and we were at ski school and the lifts! I loved not having to load up the car, park and lug all the ski equipment to the mountain. Right after we checked in the kids were ready for some sledding. We had a great sledding hill right behind the hotel. We also went up on one of the ski runs a few times which made for a good sledding run! Sledding was definitely one of our favorite activities of the week.

Monday was the first day for the kids to go to ski school. They were excited and anxious to see what they would be doing all day. Molly was a little apprehensive to leave us, but she did well and parted with just a few tears. Richard and I skiied together all day. I haven't skiied in eight years, so I thought he would go easy on me. I think our third run was a black. Thanks honey. (Day two...the back bowls. At least my thighs got a good workout). We were anxious to get to ski school early and watch the kids. When Molly spotted us, she started to cry. She said she had a good day, but it was a long day for her. Matthew came zooming down and told us how much he loved skiing! His ski instructor was impressed and said he was the youngest one in his class and the fastest learner. After a yummy dinner at the Brewery and some sledding, the Williams crew was ready for bed! Guess who was up before the alarm the next day and ready for skiing??? Matthew.

The kids did great in ski school on Tueday. Molly told us she didn't cry at all since she knew what to expect. Funny girl. That night we went to another condo to have dinner with some friends that were also in Breckenridge. We had a great time eating and sledding. Unfortunately, Richard got sick in the middle of the night and missed out on skiing Wednesday morning. Luckily, no one else got that tummy bug...whew!

Wednesday afternoon, Richard and I got Matthew out of ski school and took him up with us on the mountain for the first time. He did so well! We took him down his first full blue. After a few blue runs he was begging to do a black. Richard and I took him on his first black...he did great. I don't know how his legs survived the wedge, but he did it and never fell!

On our last day there, we got Molly out of ski school and took her up on the mountain with us. I think she had just had enough of ski school. Once she went with us, she loved skiing! Richard was great with her and skiied with her between his legs some and also skiied in front of her and she would ski down to him. I think we have two snow bunnies that are wanting to go back! It was a wonderful week and we are so thankful we had the opportunity to go!







This is the bridge we would walk over to get to ski school and the lifts



When we arrived in Breckenridge on Sunday, we were all hungry. We decided to eat at Bubba Gumps!


Matthew and Molly getting fitted for their ski boots, skis and helmets










On our way to ski school for the first day of skiing!













Molly riding the "magic carpet" to the top of the bunny hill




There she is folks...




Not smiling too much at this point. I think she was exhausted!


Matthew after his first day of skiing!





You can't really tell...but that is Matthew coming down the mountain with mommy right behind him


Daddy and Molly


The Williams crew up on the mountain together!


Matthew's first blue run


Matthew's first black run



Yummy food after a full day on the slopes!


I could just eat her up...


Snowboarding behind our lodge...


...and sledding too!









Dinner and sledding with the Darkoch's!


I guess the theme of the week was...skiing, sledding, eating...skiing, sledding, eating!


This was our last night in Breckenridge. Sweet dreams!

No comments: