The kids and I decided to head to Arkansas for a few days over Spring break. We were planning to stay a few nights with Nana and Papa Doc at the beginning of the week...but Nana had a nasty stomach bug, so we just continued on to Aunt Kara and Uncle Tim's house (sorry Nana and Papa Doc!). The kids were thrilled to have more time on the river because they always have a great time there. The Oosterhous crew has perfected the skill of being good hosts. It's just nice to let the kids run around and be kids...throwing rocks in the river, making dams in the creek, hiking, shooting BB guns and so on! Kara and I love having the time to "catch up" as well. We got to Aunt Kara's on Tuesday and surprised her kids. They weren't out on Spring break yet, so they had just gotten home from school and were thrilled to see their cousins! The kids played basketball and ran around until dinner and bedtime. Bedtimes weren't too late this week since the boys still had school.
On Wednesday, the kids and I started our busy day with the goal of seeing as much family as we could! We started off the day by spending a few hours with Memaw and Papa Harrington. Kara met us there and they seemed so excited to see the kids! Papa had his Wednesday morning chapel service, so we all got to go hear him preach. It has been years since I've heard him preach (he's 96!) and it brought back so many memories! Loved our time with them.
Afterwards, the kids and I went to Mamaw Ann and Papaw Don's house to see them and Papaw Curtis. We had a great afternoon playing with Little Bit (papaw's dog) and catching up. Molly entertained us most of the time as well! We are blessed with such great grandparents and enjoyed every minute we were there!
We left Little Rock late that afternoon and headed to Hot Springs to see Mamaw Ball. When we got there we were surprised to see Uncle Billy there as well. More good visiting and lots of hugs...then we headed to Papaw Guy's house!
Papaw Guy always has candy and the kids love to play with him! I am sure he was worn out when we left. We missed seeing Mamaw Shelia while we were there but know she is in the best place she can be right now. We look forward to the day she gets to come home. We were so glad Aunt Ashley and the kids were home across the street so we could see them as well. The kids loved playing with all their animals and couldn't understand why we can't have that many pets (4 cats, 5 dogs and a ferret). We were exhausted, but so glad we got to see so many loved ones! Thanks to everyone that day for making time for us and hanging out!
Thursday was our "low-key" day to just play on the river! Aunt Kara kept Ben home that day and took the big boys out of school at noon. The kids had a great time...until 4pm. I had gone to get everyone Subway and came home to two kiddos with the stomach bug! I couldn't believe it...especially since we avoided Nana! We immediately went to the guest house and quarantined ourselves. I'm not going to lie...it was rough! At least we were in one big room so I could just go back and forth holding bowls between kiddos! I guess I was feeling left out because I came down with the stomach bug at 6am on Friday (the day we were supposed to leave). Matthew was feeling better by mid morining and wanted to go home since he still couldn't play with his cousins. I decided to head back around 11am because I was feeling somewhat better. BAD IDEA. It was the longest.trip.ever. Between feeling awful and having to stop 20 million times...we finally made it to Dallas where Richard "offered" to let me and Molly stay in a hotel while we recovered that night. We slept from 7pm-7am and woke up feeling a little better. This was a nasty bug that kept us feeling yucky for a few more days. Poor Richard...he tried so hard not to get it. He came down with it Monday night. Sorry honey :)
All in all, it was a wonderful trip! Thanks to the Oosterhous crew for an awesome Spring break getaway. I am not sure how...but I don't have any pictures of Aunt Kara and the cousins! Next time I will get some!

No comments:
Post a Comment