Matthew and Richard went on their Father/Son Choctaw Campout in March. They had the greatest time. Each campout I think it can't get any better, then Matthew says it was the greatest campout to date! This Spring they had their second annual Choctaw Olympics. This is a big deal...they divide into four teams and compete all day long in several events. Guess who has been in charge of the Olympics these two years? Good ole daddy. Can you pick anyone more perfect? That man is organized, has a power point presentation explaining each event to the dads, has event specific score sheets, and so much more. He spends HOURS planning and making sure the Olympics will go off without a hitch. He even entered the kids names in some computer program so that they would randomly be divided into teams so it would be fair. This is big time, ya'll (chuckle). I kid, but want you to know how much thought and effort he puts into this. The kids love it. I did my part by dyeing thirty-two shirts and making posters to mark each event. I guess I got off easy compared to him! In the Olympics they had the following events: dodgeball, egg toss, tug of war (2 different kinds), fire starting, archery, target shooting, obstacle courses, football throw-catch-kick, water balloon lauch and catch, memory maze, and golf pitch and putt. Whew! Matthew had a blast and was happy his team got first place (remember, the teams were randomly selected...promise!). They have lots of cool prizes for everyone and he picked a cool multitool and watch. The rest of the weekend was filled with playing in the lake, fishing, playing tag, eating smores and lots of other boyish things. On Saturday night they always have their big Choctaw ceremony by the bonfire and induct any new members, talk about the six aims (i.e., trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, caring, fairness, citizenship) and hand out awards. This ceremony is followed by a fireworks show, which daddy is also in charge of. From what I hear, it is always pretty good! I guess all those years of shooting fireworks in Arkansas has paid off. These boys are making great memories and learning such good lessons with their daddys.
as we enter adulthood...
2 months ago

No comments:
Post a Comment