The day after we got home from Arkansas, we headed to Deer Valley Resort in Utah for some family skiing! I was a little nervous because the forecast was predicting some really cold temperatures while we were there. They were right...it was freezing! The first day we skied was the coldest day I have ever skied. I think it was -12 when I dropped the kids off at ski school. Yikes! Richard and I took several hot cocoa breaks that day. All the other days were above freezing and it was much more enjoyable to ski. Our kids were rock stars. They were cold, but were not one of the 100+ kids I saw crying because their toes and fingers were frozen (I felt like crying a few times!). When we arrived it was snowing...so we had some great powder for the week.
The Schultz family (Matthew's best friend) arrived a day after we did, so the boys got to go to ski school together the rest of the week. They had a blast. The Schultz go every year, so they were our tour guides!
Every year just before New Years they have a torch parade. Several skiers ski down the mountain with torches or lights strung around them. It was really pretty (I didn't bring my big camera...my iPhone doesn't do it justice!). We had hot cocoa and cookies while watching the show.
Now you are getting an idea of how cold it was. You can't even see my face! I was covered from head to toe!
Matthew and Molly did an amazing job skiing! This was the first year I felt like we could all ski together and I wasn't worried about Molly hitting a tree or taking someone out! Don't get me wrong...she is super fast and not afraid at all, but she now has more control to stop. Matthew is a great skier and always in control. He is the more cautious of the two.
On our way out of town we stopped by Olympic Park. It was neat getting to go in the museum and the kids had fun sitting in the bobsled!
It was a wonderful trip and we all can't wait to go back! I love my sweet family and love all the memories we are making. With that being said...you do have to love skiing to take your kiddos because it is a lot of work! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment