Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Matthew's birthday...Part two!

After our final All Star Tournament, we had all 14 boys come to the house for a sleepover to celebrate the end of a great All Star Season!  Maybe I wasn't thinking clearly when I agreed to this...just kidding.  Actually, it went great!  This is such a great group of boys.  Everyone arrived showered and in pajamas...ready for pizza and a movie!  After pizza the boys watched the new Scooby Doo movie and continued to much on snacks.  Amazingly enough, they all stayed in the media room and watched the movie!  When the movie was over, Coach Williams (aka, daddy) came up and told the boys all about his best buddy, Adam Brown.  This All Star season was special and different from all the other seasons in the past.  This season the boys and coaches wore an emblem on their jerseys in memory of Adam Brown.  Richard did an amazing job telling them about Adam and the kind of person he was.  He explained a little bit about how he had gotten into some trouble but overcame all obstacles with hard work, mental toughness and the help of God, his family and his friends.  When he began his talk about Adam, he started by asking if anyone knew a Navy Seal.  Several hands went up and it was neat to hear about great grandfathers and relatives that had been Navy Seals.  My favorite though, was when Max raised his hand and said his brother had dressed as a Navy Seal for Halloween.  Yes, I had to turn the other way because I couldn't stop laughing.  Not exactly what Coach meant when he asked if any of them knew a Navy Seal!  Cute though.  Richard also showed them the 24 minute documentary that was done on Adam.  The kids were really engaged and seemed to take all the information in.  This was definitely the most memorable part of the evening.  After that, the kiddos found where they were going to sleep and were asleep within about 30-40 minutes...much better than I would have thought!  The kids were met with donuts for breakfast...and Matthew's birthday celebration officially began! 
 







 
After breakfast, the kids got ready to go to the Great Wolf Lodge for a fun day of swimming and celebrating Matthew's 9th birthday!  A few moms came and helped me sunscreen everyone before heading off to the GWL!  Once we were checked in, they were all given the instructions to stay with at least one buddy.  They did great!  I never found anyone alone the whole day!  We couldn't have kept up with everyone without the help of a few others...Johnny, Nicole and Peyton!  Molly even had Sydney there to be her buddy for the day.  Everyone swam until lunch time, then we all headed to the birthday room for pizza, cake and presents.  The kids were starving and it was a great break from the water.  Afterwards, all the kids headed to the arcade to have a little fun.  Two of the kids hit the jackpot and got 1,000 tickets!  Ticket redemption was quite fun for those boys!  After the arcade it was off for more swimming.  We rounded up the kids around 5:15 and headed back to our house for Happy Meals and parent pickup.  I don't think I have been that exhausted in a long time...24 hours of nonstop fun.  Overall, it was a fantastic birthday and everything went smoother than I could have imagined.  Hey, I didn't lose any kids...that is pretty good!  Happy 9th birthday, sweet Matthew!  What a memorable weekend for us all. 
 
 
 


























No comments: