December 24 marked the one year anniversary of Papa Doc's passing. As we planned for the holidays, we knew that we wanted to be together on the 24th and would do our best to celebrate him and remember all the wonderful things about our sweet Papa Doc. To say it was hard is an understatement. How could it have been a year since that awful day? Part of me didn't want the year to be over because everyone says you just have to make it through that first year. I guess in my mind I don't see how making it through year one makes it any easier...and it is just more time that passes from when I got my last hug, "I love you" or phone call from him.
Even though it was hard, we did have a wonderful time celebrating Christmas and Papa Doc. When we arrived on Friday, Mary and Jim stopped by on their way to Little Rock. We also got a surprise visit from Ashleigh, James and Amelia! The kids loved seeing their cousins and we had a great afternoon together.
Every year the kids get matching PJ's and go to bed looking forward to celebrating Christmas together. This year Uncle Rich got them Arkansas shirts. I cannot believe how old they all look!
The kids started off our Christmas morning (December 24) laying in bed loving on Nana. They sure have shown Nana lots of love over the past year. I know they are a big part of what keeps Nana going. I know Papa Doc loves seeing this!
The kids loved tearing into their presents.
Everyone got special gifts in memory of Papa Doc. Nana and the grandkids all got t-shirt quilts made from Papa Doc's t-shirts. They were surprised and genuinely loved them. They also received a card letting them know that Nana had made a donation to the scholarship fund she and Papa Doc had started in honor of the one-year anniversary of his going to Heaven. The final gift with special meaning was a pillow with the poem Papa Doc had written.
"One day Papa will have to go away,
to be with Jesus and there I'll stay.
But don't you worry and don't you cry.
Just look in the mirror and there am I."
Nana received a Ronaldo "prayer" bracelet. A perfect gift to remind her of all those praying for her daily.
On Christmas day we headed up to Hot Springs to be with the Williams family. Aunt Karan was a wonderful host and we had lots of good food, presents and laughs.
Little did we know this would be our last time to see Papaw Don.
So thankful for this picture of him and the grandkids.
Our funny memory from this particular Christmas was Matthew driving his remote control "Ollie" into the drain. These guys were not going to let him lose it! The drove water down on the four wheeler and poured it into the drain to wash it down several feet to where one of the Ballard boys was going to catch it! Believe it or not, it worked and his Christmas toy was saved! We got a lot of belly laughs over this one!
Overall it was a great Christmas. We
laughed, cried and honored Papa Doc while making new memories that we will always cherish.
Merry Christmas 2016

No comments:
Post a Comment